COKE is a performance about entertainment as survival and survival as entertainment in Manila, Philippines.
The performance is born of a collaborative process with a group of six Filipino performers associated in diverse ways with the Manila entertainment industry – dancers, actors, singers, a drag queen, a macho dancer, the “Sexbomb Dancers” …
Entertainment is a pervasive element of everyday life in Manila. Dance entertainment is the dominant form of dance practice in the city – on TV and online, in bars and clubs, on stage and in the ‘barangays’… It is in the context of entertainment that most people in Manila experience dance. This context brings along a set of conditions that COKE reflects on.
- Artistic Direction Arco Renz
- Artistic Collaboration Nuria Guiu Sagarra & Eisa Jocson
- Created with and danced by Raf Bravo, Lygie Carillo, Meann Espinosa, Eisa Jocson, Carlon Matobato, Ian Segarra
- Original Music Marc Appart
- Additional Music Waray Waray, filippino folk song perfomed by Earth a Kitt
- Light Design Jonjon Villareal & Arco Renz
- Costumes Santi Obcena
- Set Design Arco Renz
- Kobalt Works Company Manager Ine Vander Elst
- Production Kobalt Works vzw
- Co-Production PETA (Philippine Educational Theatre Association), Goethe Institut Manila
- With the support of Contemporary Dance Network Manila, Fo Guang Shan Mabuhay Temple Manila
- With the support of the Flemish Government